Tuesday, July 9, 2013

You better shape up

Today's ride became progressively hillier as the Skeena valley cuts deeper into the mountains. I have a parody of a song that I sing to taunt my legs and coax them into action:

I've got hills, they're multipyin'
And I'm losing control,
But the power that you're supplying
Well, that's not tryin'

You better shape up
Or you'll need a van
To haul your stuff, your bike and you
You better shape up
You better understand
To the heart you must be true!

Well at least I had the tailwind and good weather still going for me. Plus, I had a good sleep in the midst of a garden of cherry trees that must be filled with children's memories, and my host Matt made a great pot of steel-cut oats for breakfast served with blueberries and almonds that fuelled me for the first 50 kilometres.

I went to the supermarket to buy supplies and realized my bank card was missing, I must have left it in a store in Prince Rupert. Getting a replacement at a local RBC branch was a snap, but delayed me a bit, so off to a late start again.

It must rain a lot here for them to celebrate umbrellas


More spectacular scenery and great weather. My arm is getting welts from me pinching myself.

Many people in BC don't like the idea of the pipeline to ship Alberta crude to Asia





If you're ever on this stretch of the Yellowhead Highway, there's a non-descript bridge at kilometre 195. If you stop and look down, there is this spectacular gorge on Big Oliver Creek.



And if you look carefully, you might see these rocks about to engage in a passionate kiss, maybe still sharing this log like the spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp


Farther down the road I spotted a woman taking a video from the passenger seat of an RV. I'm sure she missed this gem.

Got to the junction of the Stewart Highway, I realized I was closer to Alaska than Prince George. Next time or another lifetime?





Pork Rinds and Mountain Dew — the snack of champions

Alaska could be a two day ride away!

Got into New Hazelton a bit late and by the time I checked into a motel and took a shower, the only places left open for food were a Subway and a liquor store. So much for eating healthy!

That's the van that I want
Oooh, oooh, ooh ooh ooh,
The van I need
Oh yes indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment